Re: Cooling System Success at Last!

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling System Success at Last!
From: "Theodore V. Brown" <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:47:41 -0400
Hello folks:
I, too, seemed to be having troubles with my Tiger running at elevated temps.
I had been using an old fiberglass fan that was not doing the job, so I
switched
to the Derale fan after reading the study done by Tiger Tom and TEAE.  In
order to
fit the fan, I used two washers to raise the engine on its mounts and found
that it
did not interfere with the rack or the shroud.  I also found that in
fitting the fan to
the stock water pump, it was necessary to use a 1/2 inch spacer between the
fan and the hub.  The mounting hole for the fan is not large enough to fit
over the
hub, just the shaft, but that was fine because I needed the fan moved
forward a
bit to clear the upper hose.  I also discovered that my temp gauge was reading
high when I substituted a mechanical gauge for the stock one.  To make the
stock gauge read correctly (or nearly so) I inserted a 10 ohm resistor in
series
with the gauge.  These two mods now have my Tiger able to spend extended
times idling without exceeding 190 F using a 180 F thermostat and cruising at
180 F at any ambient temp I have tried it at.  The temp in Maine has exceeded
90 F only a couple of times this summer so it has not been an exhaustive test
but all indications are in the right direction.  I was able to find a
supplier on the
web who sold me the fan for about $50 including the shipping.
Cheers,
Tod
B382002384LRXFE