Re: sinking throttle pedal

To: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: sinking throttle pedal
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:05:29 -0700
Stephen,

Maybe yours does, but that is not the way it came.  I am going to bet
you have a high rise 4 barrel.  Someone put it on without modifying the
cable linkage properly - like I did!  The cable broke, as did a few
others on the list, and I limped home with a fast idle setting.

I ordered the longer cable from Sunbeam Specialties, although Rick
insists it isn't absolutely necessary, it certainly helped.  I built a
simple bracket to hold the original housing attach behind the left rear
manifold carb bolt - the ORIGINAL LAT had a small piece that  attached
both left bolts to the base with a narrow shelf, was bent up along the
carb for strength, then again (across the carb) for the mount.  I just
made a twisted "L".  The original manifold mounted leg is not used.

After attachment, and assuring the throttle plates are closed, you crawl
under the dash and adjust the pedal motion and end stop so there is no
tension with foot off, and full pressure to the floorboard stops the
pedal travel with the pedal stop before any tension is in the new
cable.  Easy enough to break when you are excited.

A look in the LAT section of TigersUnited.com will show the original LAT
assembly, including this little bracket for holding the cable.  They did
not use a  longer cable, so maybe Rick is right.  Mine works fine, all
exuberant strain taken by fixed stops, and NO splice on the cable.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman
Editor