Red Rubber Grease

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Red Rubber Grease
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:00:22 -0700
 How important is it to use red rubber grease in re-assembling the calipers
and wheel cylinders. Every component in my braking system shows no sign of it
ever being there. However, if it is effective in what I assume is helpful to
corrosion resistance then my next question is "where in the world can I expect
to find it!"
   Moss Motors is a 60 mile drive from my house and with gas at over $2.00 a
gallon I'd rather not spend $15 in gas to get a $1.95 item. I know I could
order it, but I was hoping to get it tommorrow. By the way Moss lists "brake
lube sachet" and the tube shows 'AP Lockheed' on the item. Is this what I
want? Is there a more appropriate term for this stuff beyond "red rubber
grease" that I might get it at a near by Land Rover, or motorcycle dealer
etc.
  The only mom and pop import auto store in town folded a while ago, but even
when they were open for business and I inquired a while ago about red rubber
grease I was met with a blank stare. Can you imagine what the reaction would
be at Pep Boys, Napa or Car Quest (the only auto parts stores left in town)! A
town of 125,000 people and if it doesn't come from a "Mall" you can't get it
here. Apparently everyone here buys a new car every three years and has it
serviced at the dealer.

Tom Witt B9470101