Re: Drilling hole in tempered glass?

To: "Gary" <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Drilling hole in tempered glass?
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:29:51 -0700
At 08:35 AM 8/30/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>PAGING TOM HALL...
>
>Tom, didn't you have those tempered hard top windows you got for
>us drilled AFTER they were tempered???
>
>It was about 25 years ago but my windows are still prefect!!   :)
>Gary

They say the memory goes first.  No, I actually cut the quarter window
shapes, wet sanded the edges, and drilled the holes with a diamond core
drill before I had the tempered.  I also replaced all of the clear tempered
glass in my Blue Tiger with tinted safety glass.  I used a local shop for
this project, rather than doing it myself.

The internal stresses that are formed in the glass in the tempering process
is what makes it shatter into small pieces.  Cutting through this surface
with a diamond drill generally has the same effect as hitting it with a
hammer.  Broom time!!

Tom