Re: Drilling hole in tempered glass?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Dan Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Drilling hole in tempered glass?
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:45:19 -0700
Dan,
  Though it wasn't tempered glass I had water leak into my homes double
pained window and it was causing clouding. I took my Dremel tool and with a
small generic GRINDING bit (as opposed to a glass drill) ground an upper and
lower hole (about 3/16") to vent the area. It took a few days to get the
moisture out and when it was gone I just put a small piece of clear packing
tape over the holes.
 Since these holes went within a 1/2" of the corner of a 5'X8' window I was
very concern about the thin glass cracking, but it never did. Just my
experience, yours may vary. Perhaps a glass shop can give you a scrap or
broken piece to test on first.
Tom Witt B9470101