Re: 4 bbl carb 500 cfm or 650?

To: tsmit@shaw.ca
Subject: Re: 4 bbl carb 500 cfm or 650?
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:56:52 EST
Theo
You are correct.  You could even put in a 4:1 reduction gear
and get 400 hp.  But for my money, I prefer a lower rpm engine
especially considering today's gas.  That's why I would choose
the stroker way to get hp instead of building the 289 to the gills.

Around here in the land of tractor pulls, you can watch really
built tractors with super charged or turbo charged engines
scream as they pull a sled.  Only a few make the full pull.
Yet when they bring out the old tractors, its the old Deere
or IH, chugging along at maybe  60 rpm, that will make a
full pull.  Granted it's at a walk but it'll do what the high HP
high RPM tractors couldn't.

The great gearhead and Tiger owner, Art Arfons, is still using
a version of his Cyclops jet tractor at pulls. Great spectating.

Dave Johnson