RE: Torque verses Horsepower

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Torque verses Horsepower
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:30:32 -0800
Sorry if this is a re-read for anyone. This will be the third time I am
sending it, it never
shows up on the list (as far as I know). Tom

The issue is APPLICATION (and expectations). Applied to the Tiger you will
never get a big block sized block into a stock frame so that is out. A
stroker like the 347 can get very pricey (for most) and that becomes a $$$
limitation. Hence, the majority of applications will be 260 thru 302. I have
a friend who puts motors together for Shelby. His comment to me was that a
certain bore/stroke configuration (displacement) will only put out a
spacific amount of torque. Therefore, since reaching the torque limit (when
one actually does), the only way to increase horsepower is to raise the RPM
level. That comes at the cost of loss of low(er) end torque, noise, $$$
etc..
 Torque is more important if you have a heavy vehicle to move and you want
to keep the RPM's down for noise reasons (your typical street car).
Horsepower is more important in flat out racing like speed trials
(Bonniville) or NASCAR because assuming that maximum torque has been reached
the added RPM = more speed.
On a road race course it would be dependent upon the layout and likely
intake and cam alterations are made as needed for the right torque/RPM
configuration.
Class engine size restriction, physical room to put in a larger engine or
weight disadvantages dependent on application all become torque vs H.P.
factors.
 Given the application to a Tiger in the end it cost $$$ to build a stroker
(347) SBF. It cost $$$ to build a
302 to survive higher RPM to attempt the horsepower of the stroker (speed
cost money, how fast do you want to go - - broke). Likely the stroker
because of it's greater torque would be the better engine in street
application.
 Perhaps it is better said that torque is of it's greatest importance when
it is functioning in an RPM spacific to the need. And that most important
torque at that spacific RPM is the most important horsepower. Thus, it is
not an issue of torque vs horsepower, but does the end result fit the
application , and..., well..., even getting that close to ideal is a matter
of opinion. That is why they make BMW's and Honda's differently. As it would
relate to Tigers, one would have to be dealing with the same exact car for
the same exact application before one's perspective could be proved more
correct than the other.
 Finally, remember that you are only dealing with ENGINE torque/horsepower
in most discussions and gear ratio and tire size (diameter) and overall
weight ( larger torque, bigger displacement engines USUALLY weight more as
do their associated components) and wind resistance creates a whole new
discussion as to APPLICATION.

Tom Witt B9470101