Re: Fuel Pump Safety Switch

To: W Goebner <wgoebner@pacbell.net>, Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Safety Switch
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:26:37 -0800
Race organizations want the manual switch as mandatory.  It is simple,
near fool proof, and when hidden (NOT SCCA APPROVED) can be a theft
stopper.  Your car is only a block away when it stops.

An oil pressure switch can simply be an oil pressure indicator light
switch, but does not provide safety in case of a fire while running,
along with the starting issue you mention.

The inertia switch cuts you off on ACCELERATION??  I think it's facing
the wrong direction.  On rapid deceleration, depending on setting, you
could find no power after a hard brake for a turn.  No fun coming out of
that corner.

Of course, all the types you mention are electric fuel pump devices.  I
believe the race organizations want a fuel line valve, although a hide
able  electric switch (or in fuel line valve) under the carpet, with
removable key, is best for theft prevention.  Having it in the middle of
your cowl may be best for racing safety, but unsightly.

Steve

--
-----

Steve Laifman