Valve Cover Clearances

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve Cover Clearances
From: <gharlowe@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:17:15 -0500
Listers -

I am building a 5-bolt 289 motor with GT40 heads and roller rockers.  I
noticed some interference between the Ford Racing rockers and my Tiger
valve covers (ordered from Rick with the baffles uninstalled).

For solutions, there are some off-the-shelf 1.25" spacers available (see
link below).

http://www.cobranda.com/GetItemDetail.asp?ItemID=2081&CatID=380&DeptID=6

I also looked through old list recommendations and found the following
advice for the same interference problem:

"If you want to use the 260 covers, use a 3/16 inch spacer between two
thick
rubber gaskets and slightly rework the cover ends and the baffle as
necessary
for clearance to the rockers. Don't try to run without a baffle on the
right
side."

Has anyone successfully used these 1.25" spacers with their Tiger valve
covers?  Any mods needed or problems with clearance elsewhere?   Are
smaller spacers commercially available or are these home-fabricated
efforts?   Any other ideas?

Thanks, as usual...

Graham Harlowe
B382001466