Re: The Ultimate Alger? On Ebay

To: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Subject: Re: The Ultimate Alger? On Ebay
From: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:42:51 -0700
I do think that you're right about starting with a less valuable chassis
Theo, but the difference between an Alger and a Tiger is that I have
bragging rights.  "I have a Tiger".  I'm not sure why, but that means
something to me.  It's not a stock Tiger, and it's maybe not a very
valuable Tiger, but it's a Tiger, not an Alpine, not an Alger.  And I
own it.  For now :-)

I agree that I'll likely never recoup what I put into my Tiger (God
knows I lost money on the modified Alpine I had prior to it), and the
previous owner's modifications (automatic transmission, Jag rear
suspension) won't appeal to a purist--but they appealed to me.  I WANTED
a Tiger with an automatic trans and IRS--especially if someone else had
already done the work first.  I figure that when and if I sell the car,
there's gotta be some other nut like me out there that'll want the same
things, so I'll at least be able to sell it.  But while I get the
occasional twinge of "there aren't that many of these left--is it really
right to modify it more than the P.O. did back in the day?", I never
really thought about purchasing the Tiger (or my earlier Alpine, come to
think of it) as an investment.  I think my wife put it best when she
said : "Hey, it's your HOBBY.  Spend what money you have, turn the car
into what YOU want it to be--as long as it gives you joy. Doesn't matter
if we get that money back later as long as you have fun."  I think I
married a very wise woman.

The Barratt-Jackson auctions make me uncomfortable.  The admittedly few
cars I've seen there are polished to perfection Icons that don't, I
believe really get driven.  Hopefully the $34,000 'vette will, but the
50something one of only twelve existing Mercedes that sold for
$300,000?  I'm guessing not.  Maybe I'm just steamed that my ratty Tiger
will never be worth much, but it's what I can afford to own, it does
represent a piece of automotive history and (when it's running) I take
it out on the street as the factory originally intended.

Oh, speaking of Speed Channel--anybody see the special on Old Yeller?
Nifty!

Best Regards

David Sosna