Re: Ignition Voltage Question

To: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition Voltage Question
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:31:33 -0700
Steve,

REMOVE the ballast resistor.  It is not required, or desired, for the
Pertronix electronics breaker or the full 12 volt coil.

 Most early systems on US cars used 9 volt coils, and reduced the 12
volt source to the required 9 volts with a massive resistor.  This
resistor was by-passed with the ignition switch when in the "start" (run
the starter) position to enhance the voltage to the coil to 12 volts for
a short time.  The coil would burn out if the voltage was not dropped to
9 volts, as it is when the key is released and the switch returns to the
"run" position and puts the resistor back into the circuit.

NON of this is necessary for the Pertronix, and can hurt performance
with low coil energization.  Your problem is potentially a miswired
system that supplies the Pertronix Coil only 9 volts. This is
insufficient for that hot coil. Read coil installation instructions.

Remove the resistor and make sure that the 12 volt energizing wire, AND
the "start" position wire are both connected to the input of the
Pertronix Ignitor, per the installation instructions from Pertronix,
Page 2. FIGURE 1.  Figure 2 is for 9 volt coils, and I have no idea why
they put this in as an alternative.  Mine runs fine as per Figure 1,
using a 12 volt hot Accel coil.

Steve

--
-----