Brake Fluid: It was a very good year...

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Fluid: It was a very good year...
From: "Lawrence Wright" <wrightsinseabrook@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:25:01 -0400
   Something as simple as a leaky clutch slave cylinder is taking sooo long to
resolve, in no small part because I really don't feel with messing with it.
The rebuild kit was cheap enough and arrived from Rick at SS in a couple of
days. Getting under the car, the first thing I tried to disconnect was the
hydraulic line, which promptly snapped off in my hand (IIRC, it was the one
remaining stretch of unreplaced pipe on the car). Thus another few days
waiting for a new one to arrive, then some thumb-torture while I bent it to
the correct shape.

   Then, popping out the slave cylinder; dang, it's tight in there, and I
foresee trouble reinstalling. Anyway, I walked down to the local Clueless Auto
Parts for fresh fluid. There was no Castrol LMA! So, I grabbed a bottle of
Valvoline SynPower ("Good for ABS Systems", as if that'll ever happen) and
came home. Then, I discovered that I had two virgin (foil seals intact)
bottles of LMA in my garage cabinets. My best guess is that they date from the
suspension/brake rebuild in 1998. Should I (A) try the SynPower -- assuming it
doesn't have proven incompatibility with British rubber, or (b) use the
Castrol, despite the age, or (c) discard it all and set off on a quest for
'new' LMA, presuming such a thing is to be had?

Lawrence R. Wright
"I can't get no-- Satis-traction"