Dash wiring, Amp meter, Alternator

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dash wiring, Amp meter, Alternator
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:49:57 -0700
Who ever said "lying down on the job" is a good thing. Between Luca design,
previous owner modifications and a few so called "good idea" of my own thrown
in I've been staring up under the dash for about three days now. And, doing
more staring than work, might I add!
  I have hit a few snags in adding a 14 position fuse block to my Tiger. I
have done away with the generator and replaced it with a 65 amp Nippon Denso
alternator from a Chevy Chevette. In addition to the electrical advantages of
the alternator, the compact size allows for a low mounting position above the
lower radiator hose. From the previous owner the car has a solid lifter cam
and I need easy valve cover access.
 I looked at the TU, STOA and CAT sites for information on the "single wire"
(actually three wire) hookup, but could not find anything. Additionally the
amp meter wiring is no longer there.
So:
1. Can anyone provide me with information to wiring the so called "single
wire" alternator?

2. As best I can tell the original wiring only had the amp meter wired through
the generator (???). I therefore assume that it only showed the amp meters
charging rate and not the actually current draw from the battery. That is OK
with me (if, in fact, that is the case), but what gauge wire (65 amp alt.)
should I use (#10, #8 ???). Again, I assume I would take the wire from the
alternator to the amp meter in and then out of the amp meter to the "hot" side
of the starter soleniod???

3. Lastly, I wanted to isolate the parking, tail, instrument etc. lights from
the headlights. Due to the type of switch Lucas used  I have tried EVERY
position at least twice, but have not been successful. At some point I either
loose current when I need it, or the curcuits don't stay isolated and that
doubles the fuse rate which is not something I want when the current branches
off to a single wire!
 Neither do I want to loose the single switch to activate the lights. I had
given thought to putting the parking, tail, instrument etc. lights seperately
on the "panel" switch, but I JUST KNOW I would either forget to turn them on
or off if they were on a second switch. So, I likely will use a relay and the
single switch to get what I want. Any thoughts.

Thanks everyone who has taken the time to give their input. It is greatly
appreciated.

Tom Witt B9470101