RE: Derale Fan

To: "Tiger List \(Tiger List\)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Derale Fan
From: "Frank P. Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:26:33 -0700
Chris,

Greg Imboden fit one of these fans to his Alger at my repeated prodding (hey
Greg, why don't you try to get this fan to fit your car and then tell me
what I need to do to put one in my car so I don't have to do all the work!).

Greg ended up trimming the fan a bit and he had to raise the motor a little
(I think).  I think he might also have had to tweak the shroud a bit.  I
know he had interference with the rack and radiator hose initially.  I've
BCCed Greg on this so perhaps he will reply and fill us in.  I'll post his
reply to the list, I don't think he is on the list these days.

I believe Greg was quite happy with the final results.  He had a serious
overheating problem at low speeds on hot days and I think that since
installing the Derale he has had no problems (or maybe he just doesn't go
slow on hot days anymore).  The Derale moves a ton of air even at idle, I've
witnessed it in action and it is impressive.

I have one mocked up on my motor and there was some issue with the radiator
hose but I've solved this through bending of the fan blades (as recommended
by TT), some slight trimming of the blades and a custom fan spacer.  My
water pump and pulley set up is nowhere near stock though so this is
probably not of much use to you.

FYI, originally the Derale fan was built with the stiffeners on the other
side of the fan blades (between the fan frame and the blades).  With this
configuration there was reported to be no problem with the radiator hose
since the fan blades were farther out from the engine.  Later, for some
reason, Derale moved the stiffeners.  Tom, myself and others contacted
Derale several times to request that they move the stiffeners back to their
previous location but unless they have changed this recently they never
seemed to get around to it despite the fact that they said they would do it
for us Tiger folks.

Chris, where are the stiffeners on the fan you just bought??

Also I should note for completeness that Tom absolutely recommends against
trimming the blades.  I think it is because he does not think it is
necessary and it reduces the fan efficiency.  Greg trimmed his quite a bit
(down to the metal frame) and the fan still worked pretty well for him.  Not
sure what to say about this, trim or don't trim is a personal choice I
guess.

It has been a while since I worked on this so my info may be outdated or I
may have remembered some of the details wrong.  Hopefully if I'm out of date
or misinformed on some of the details someone out there will chime in.

Frank

B9471116

>Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 06:55:48 -0700 (PDT)

>From: Chris Mottram <c_mottram@yahoo.com>

>Subject: Derale Fan

>Has anyone installed the Derale #17015 (SS flex) 15"

>cooling fan that is referenced in Tiger Toms cooling tip at TEAE.org?  I
purchased one.