RE: Tiger Temp

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tiger Temp
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:56:38 -0300
Fellow Tigernuts;

I know there has been volumes written about the cooling of the Tiger
motor, but I have a specific question regarding "acceptable running
temperatures":

I just got my Tiger out of the shop after a complete motor rebuild. Of
course, it is no longer anything like close to standard, with  a SCAT
stroker crank, rods, Keith Black pistons, a Comp Cams valve train etc
etc.

The compression ratio came out at 9.3:1, and the new capacity is 331
cu.in. Our Desk Top Dyno program indicated we should expect approx 330
hp at 6,000 rpm. The motor now has 45 miles on it, and it has been
running between 210 and 220 deg.F. for the entire time. I know that
making horsepower makes lots of heat, but I have no experience with the
Ford 289 rebuilt to this level of performance. A friend of mine had a
full-house 427 Cobra engine built for him by Gus Zuidema, and it ran
full time at 220 deg.F, and Gus said that was how they ran, which it did
for several years without problems.

Anyone have any idea what an acceptable level of temperature would be
for a motor like this???

Thanks for your insight,

Cheers,

Dave Munroe