RE: Valve Covers

To: "'Jeff Eakin'" <jeff@graphic-net.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Valve Covers
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:26:49 -0600
Hi Jeff,
As far as I know, the cast aluminum Tiger valve covers were never fitted at
the factory - they're a LAT dress-up item, so they'd be installed either by
the dealer or by the owner. I have the COBRA valve covers on mine - it came
that way from the previous owner, and therefore, it's "original" to me ;) .

At SUNI you would have also seen the various one-of Tigers - The #74 car,
the Targa Florio Tiger, the le Mans tiger, and the Fraser racing Tiger.
They're all painstakingly restored to a particular non-factory
configuration, which is way harder to do than to take something back to
factory condition. As far as I'm concerned, when you take off some piece or
detail that the car "acquired" in its past, then you're also erasing that
little bit of its history. There are a couple of decades of unknown-to-me in
my Tiger, and I'd be thrilled if I had the car out at some show and someone
came up to tell me they recognized the car because of some little widget
that they'd put on 25 years ago.

That being said, there are lots of things on my Tiger that I have either
removed or replaced with components more appropriate to their task - but
that is just part of making it more of what I want my Tiger to be.

Best regards,
Theo Smit