RE: Engine temp

To: "'Ronak, TP (Timothy)'" <Timothy.Ronak@AkzoNobel.com>
Subject: RE: Engine temp
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:08:47 -0300
Tim;

Thanks for the story and the excellent article on the air dam.

I was extremely uncomfortable running my motor with the temp gauge in
the upper reaches of its travel. I have driven the car at this point a
total of approximately 50 miles. For about 25 of these miles I ran with
the thermostat removed and the thermostat by-pass hose removed. In that
configuration the motor never ran above 170 deg.

In ignorance, I thought all I had to do was replace the thermostat to
get the temp back up to 190 or so. Thanks to the reply from Theo Smit, I
now understand the function of that by-pass hose. It seem to me that the
motor may have been responding more to the removal of the thermostat
than the removal of the by-pass hose. Perhaps a bad thermostat, although
I started with a 180, replaced it with a 160, and got no change until I
removed it completely. So TWO bad thermostats? Maybe.

But it is encouraging that the motor will run at 170, and that there is
no serious internal reason (like excessive heat from too close
tolerances or some other mysterious gremlin). Fine tuning the system
should get me into a reasonable operating temp range.

Next step will have to be replacing the bypass hose and running a/
without the thermostat to see what happens, b/ running with a new 180
deg thermostat, and if that doesn't work,  c/ perhaps removing the
by-pass hose again and installing one of those trick Stewart
high-performance t-stats with the by-pass holes in it.

I will continue to provide up-dates. Thanks to all for the help and
education!

Cheers,

Dave Munroe