Re: Anyone Take Pictures at SUNI IV?

To: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone Take Pictures at SUNI IV?
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:09:51 -0700
At 05:05 PM 7/22/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Mike:
>You may be right.  The problem with e-mail is that I couldn't see Tom's
>face or hear his voice. He didn't qualify his e-mail remarks by saying
>'hey, just kidding'--so I responded to what looked like a slam.  From what
>I've seen both on and off the list, I'm not the only one who was rubbed
>the wrong way.
>
>If it was intended as a joke, then I overreacted and I owe Tom an on-list
>apology.

         I'm not looking for any apologies.  Since the list was in a quiet
mode, I took advantage and sent a loaded response to the request for
pictures.  Not necessarily all in fun, but also not meant to demean those
who had more serious obligations and restrictions.  We all have to set
priorities and mine may be quite different than most listers.  I don't
write to this list en-mass very often and I don't suspect that will change.

         Those that missed the event will never get to experience the level
of mixed fun, challenge, excitement, and general sense of euphoria that
attending a Tiger event always brings.  It starts with getting ready, who
you travel with, the stories from the trip there, the stories that just
occur with the people that attend, and doesn't even end until long after
you're tucked safely in bed at home. To say it was "Fun" is totally
inadequate.  I won't say it was the best event I've ever attended, but it
was well worth the time, trouble, expense, and wear and tear to make the
commitment.  You won't ever get that from pictures posted to this
list.  You won't get that from the stories that make it into print.  You
have to live that experience and welcome the challenges, the risks, the
common bond with others that feel as deeply as you do about this rare,
unique and very very special automobile.

You'll have to ask Rob Guerra about breaking and repairing his valve train
3 times in two days and still finishing second in class in the Autocross
and third in class the Concours.  You'll have to ask Peter Thomson and Ken
and Louise  Jacobs why they make the trip to the US every year from
Australia to attend our events.  You'll have to ask again to hear about the
Utah Highway Patrol that had several Tigers in his sights at well over 100
MPH and how the truck blocked the view of the Poor Cougar that finally got
by them after a 100 mile chase only to end up with the only speeding
ticket.  If you call Bill Martin of Rootes Group, be prepared to spend some
time on the phone hearing about how he and Dave Stone feel about the
reception for Dave's Mark II.  You'll have to ask "Funbeam" Chuck if the
5000 plus mile trip was worth it after loosing several lobes on his cam on
the trip home to Florida thru Vegas.  This is his second trip to the west
coast.  Why?

         I can't tell you "why".  I can't give you pictures that do justice
to the emotional lift.  This is something you have to experience for
yourself.  Life is to be lived, and is far to short to let other priorities
smother it down to some vicarious pictures and stories on the net or in the
newsletters.  I'll likely be at the next major Marque Event.  If you can't,
I'm sorry, but we'll have lots of fun anyway.  I'm quite fortunate in being
in a place in my life where I can deal with lifes priorities and place them
in perspective as I see fit.  I wish you the same good fortune and I only
hope you can see that this message is an encouragement to participate.
  Tom