Re: Gano Filter Modification

To: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Gano Filter Modification
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:16:03 -0700
Dave,

I have both the plastic housing and brass housing versions of the Gano
filter.  As noted by Bob Melusky, there is a significant design issue
with the plastic housing version.  Although this looks, at first glance,
like a great way of seeing how crudded up the filter is, by looking thru
the plastic wall into the trap, the antifreeze is ugly, green, and
impenetrable to the human eyesight. Can't see the trap.

Another "feature" is the cylindrical tube is straight, and the hose
clamps are trying to hold the hoses on a smooth tube with no "lips" at
the tube ends to prevent the clamped hose from coming off under water
pressure.  He therefore, as noted, placed a matched set of flat
stainless hose clamp material, as indicated in his post, with bent up
ends to prevent the hoses from separating, under the band clamps.

Another solution is to buy the brass bodied unit, which DOES have the
lips as an integral part of the outer housing. This prevents the
clamp/hose from coming apart. For the "belt & suspenders" group, they
can be joined with the flat / end bent hose clamp material from another
set of clamps, as well.

Yet another solution is to throw the tubes away altogether, and fit the
screen set into the upper hose where it is clamped to the radiator.
Some machining required for hose ID fit.  This requires a stainless wire
loop on the filter set to withdraw it from the upper hose for cleaning,
where it is embedded.

I have always thought that the filter ring could be thru screw mounted
to a brass insert in the radiator inlet, allowing the hose to be pulled
off the assembly, and the filter removed for cleaning.  Standard
diameters may cause a mismatch, however.  Some bright guy ought to
figure this one out.

I have been using these filters for 7 years, clean them every 6 months
(depending on condition of engine water passages) and removed scale
which would stuff the fine tubes on a hi performance radiator.
Regardless of the initial installation issue, this filter works well and
is easily maintained.  Be careful that the unit is not to close to the
back of the fan blades.  I have a half round piece of exhaust tube
brazed to a strap that bolts on the block. This stay prevents
filter/hoses from getting near blades.

Good Luck,  and it  is worth the effort.

Steve

--
-----

Steve Laifman