260 vs 289

To: Tiger Group <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: 260 vs 289
From: Rande Bellman <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 06:39:08 -0400
Without looking at LeMans rules for 1964, I would surmise that the 'go
with stock displacement' rule wouldn't apply to what was really a custom
car (a fastback) that some sources said actually came from Alpine
beginnings, not Tiger.

The rap about why Shelby gave Rootes ill-prepared 260's to use instead
of the 289's he used for his own cars could be nailed down by Shelby if
someone had the talent to ask him in a non-accusatory way. The urban
myth is that it was to intentionally give Rootes a disadvantage. I'd
love to hear Shelbys side.