RE: 260 vs 289

Subject: RE: 260 vs 289
From: "Anthony & Susan" <jetbike@worldlynx.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:39:41 -0400
Mayf,

You are correct! When I asked the loaded question (for those of you who know
me, if everyone goes right I go left) Carroll's response was "George
(Boskoff) what did that young man say?" George replied "He asking why the
260?" Carroll looked out at me and repeated "What did you say young man?"
Carroll, why the 260? I replied. Here it is listers. "Hell I don't know why
I installed that damn engine"!

I also cornered George Boskoff at the concours and asked him the same
question again. His response was "I just installed what Carroll told me too,
I had nothing to do with picking the motor".

Now this is conveyed information from Tiger Tom. I hope I get it right. Lord
Rootes met with someone from FORD on his yacht. The deal was sealed there
for I believe 5000 260 motors from FORDS industrial division not automotive.
These motors were for tractors, water pumps and such, hence the black paint
instead of FORD blue. So it seems that economics was the driving factor.
Tiger Tom if you listening can you add or tell this story in detail?

Also some of the crowd at the Shelby diner were braking my balls over the
289 HiPo. That it was not available yet but if I'm not mistaken 1963 was the
first year of production. I think this motor was installed on Fairlanes and
Comets prior to the Mustang. At that point I had too many spirits to argue!

So there is my answer. Don't shoot me if I'm off a little on Tiger Toms
story. Maybe Tom could offer the long version!

Best Regards,

ANT
B382001859LRXFE
TAC #540