alternator bracket pics

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: alternator bracket pics
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:32:45 -0600
Hi all,
I took some pictures of my alternator bracket and put them up at my ISP...

<http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/FRTLOWER.jpg>
This is a good overall view, more or less from below and in front (as it
would be installed in the car). The alternator sits underneath the
curved surface. The alternator hangs on the through bolt at the left;
it's installed into a piece of 1" diameter bar stock. The length of the
bar stock piece was cut to fit the lug spacing on the alternator. The
alternator has a press-fit bushing in one lug so the length isn't
totally critical in this case. The head mount is on the right; it's cut
from a piece of 3/8" steel plate, and the pieces inbetween are all cut
from 1/8" steel plate. There are three longitudinal ribs, and some
pieces that go inbetween the ribs to form a box section When I was
building it, I first welded the middle rib to the bar stock piece, then
welded the other end to the head mounting plate and made sure that those
three pieces were all square relative to each other and that it put the
alternator in the right place. After that I added the upper and lower
ribs, then boxed them in.

<http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/FRTUPPER.jpg>
A view from above and in front - more or less upside down relative to
how it's installed in the car.

<http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/REARLOWE.jpg>
A view of the back side. I didn't box in the lower rib because at the
time it seemed like too much work to create a filler for the gap between
the middle and lower ribs. As it turned out, the front-to-back alignment
of the alternator relative to the head resulted in the back face of the
bar-stock piece being in a plane with the front face of the head
mounting plate, which made alignment of those pieces pretty easy.

<http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/UNDER.jpg>
A view of the underside. Not much to see there, although you can see the
angle cut in the top rib (lower left in the picture) required to clear
the dipstick tube.

<http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/UPPER.jpg>
View from the upper rear side. You can again (sort of - black on black
makes for lousy detail) see the dipstick clearance cuts, and the depth
of the ribs is clearly visible here.

<http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/TOPVIEW1.jpg>
An older picture of the bracket on the engine, with the alternator in
place. You can actually remove the valve cover without undoing the
alternator - the overhang is just an optical illusion.

Hopefully this will give some of you ideas on how to go about your own
alternator install. As I said earlier, I'm still sort of on the lookout
for a smaller alternator that will let me mount the whole thing in front
of the (right) head, and thereby shorten the belt path by a bunch, as
well as improving the clearance between the alternator and the right
side of the engine compartment. As it is, it's already about an inch
inboard of where the generator used to be, but I'd like to tuck it in
tighter if I can.

Best regards,
Theo Smit