Re: Traction Bars Experience and Alternate

To: rpalmer@ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: Traction Bars Experience and Alternate
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:20:05 -0700
Bob,

Unfortunately, any mention of the installation of the front clamp of the
Traction Masters was not included with the new factory parts. I do not
know what was with the Rootes supplied version from the same company,
but the design did not change there.

The nuts were not even a "Nylock" type, which might have stayed in place
without being tight. If this was meant to be a "sliding" joint that
tightened to a hard clamp during axle wrap, certainly something in the
design would demand a specific installation technique.  Plain and
simple, the nuts held the bar against the spring main leaf by clamping
it to a plate on the other side. No design allowance is made for
sliding, or loose fit. No instructions are provided for this.

This is not the best engineered part in the world, and the alternate
weld-on is MUCH worse. having unequal length fixed pivot arms (spring
and rod) which apply such extreme loads to the weld-on bar and fitting
that the bar actually deformed and bent, and the weld on bracket was
often torn loose.  Which is why I chose the bolt-on.

I am sure some sliding, especially with some 3/32 inch rubber sheet pad
(not included), does occur, except for larger bumps (often encountered).
The spring rate increase is dramatic.  The edges of the clamp bar are
sharp, and would cut the spring material by constant rubbing, if allowed
to slide.  It is not that your recommendation would not have been
better, it is just that the design installation never provided for it.

But, maybe you could ask them to alter the design. They do not appear to
be married to it.

Steve

--
-----