Re: Towing a Tiger

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Towing a Tiger
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:33:11 -0700
I sent a "great job on the summary list" and it bounced because I had
forgotten to remove the trailer. My last comment was that I wuz gonna look
into the top loader and see if it lubricates during a towed condition with
the drive shaft in place. Dug out my Clymer's Sunbeam book and looked at the
photo's. The reverse couter shaft gear is always in full mesh with the
output main shaft and turns all the time (you get reverse when you slide the
slider gear into mesh with another main shaft gear with the second shift
lever). From what I could see, the reverse shaft and gear are sufficiently
down in the lube to keep things oiled up pretty good. If the car is being
towed on a dolly with the front wheels a bit higher than the back then the
oil in the tranny is further covering the reverse gear shaft and really
getting oil everywhere.

Now, as I said before if you just gotta tow the critter, then rent a Uhaul
Car Transporter. Much safer, no wear and tear anywhere.

Regarding the balance of a drive shaft... I had one made for the race car
and it was about 2 feet long. They made the tube, welded in the u-joint
fittings at each end and inproper phase. Then balanced it to with a gram or
so. Added the ujoints and yoke and handed it over to me. On this shaft, the
pinion has a yoke also in which  could allow either of 2 shaft positions
(rotate the shaft 180 degrees and install). I believe this is very similar
to our Tigers in that the pinion flange is drilled to accept the shaft
flange in 2 ways also: the flange drilling for the attaching bolts is 180
degrees symetric (ie, shaft could be rotated 180 degrees and installed). As
far as I know, no one balances pinion shafts and yokes because they are
machined symetrically and on a centerline making them inherently balanced.
Same for tranny output shafts.

So does this all mean much? Nah, just god ol fun...if you are happy to mark
and replace then do so, Ditto if you do not. Being an ol' fool and being an
engineer to boot, I tend to question things that seem to make no sense to
me. A lot of them turn out to be urban legends with no basis in fact ( like
split blocks from making too much horse power...nah a rod or two breaks and
it all wedges together causing the block to split due to the tremendous
inertia forces involved).

I have enjoyed the discussion regarding this and other topics and I hope I
have given no offense to anyone because this is mostly just fun and opinion
and everyone has one or 2 of those on just about any subject.

Oh, I am trying to build a finite element model of the traction master bars
and the rear spprings system to show what happens during acceleration. Hope
to have this done soon, being delayed because I am in the middle of condo
restoration so I can sell that sucker (las vegas...any buyers out there?
1073 sq feet, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, new washer, dryer, all new 6 panel doors,
new tile work, new marble fireplac suround, new carpet, new vanity counter
tops and faucets every where)....

mayf, out in Pahrump, NV