RE: Smell Problem

To: "Steve Sage" <fastsage@cox.net>, <TIGERS@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Smell Problem
From: "Robin Young" <robin02@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:55:52 -0400
Steve two things you mentioned in the first paragraph caught my eye. The
single open window and highway speeds. My hunch is the Bernoulli Principle
at work. The partially open window is pulling a vacumn inside the car. This
coupled with a likely vacumn right where the exhaust tips are could be the
problem. Of course, it could be a vacumn inside the car and a leak upstream
of the tips.
You can prove this theory by taping tufts of yarn around the window opening
and around the trunk and see what they do at highway speed. Robin Young

Steve wrote:

I've attacked this problem before but it's back, and worse. With one of
the Tiger's windows opened, partially or completely, and the other
closed,  I immediately smell a very strong exhaust smell (or what I take
to be exhaust) while bopping down the highway. I now have a hardtop on
the car and this condition seems to be worse with it on than it is with
just the soft top up, for whatever weird  reason.  My exhaust tips are
about 2" beyond the rear bumper.