RE: NEW

To: "'Tony Someone'" <tonythetiger@onecliq.net>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: NEW
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:23:05 -0700
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the mayhem...  One thing you should know is that your posting
didn't make it to the mailing list because you left in the entirety of the
text at the end (a reminder to clean up excess quoted text), and if the
mailing list's forwarding program encounters this text in any incoming mail,
it doesn't forward the message. This is done to limit the list traffic
bandwidth a little and to keep individual messages from getting way too
long.

To answer some of your questions: Wilwood brake kits are available, and
there have been a number of different caliper adapters made. About a year or
two ago someone was advertising a bolt-on kit for the front...just can't
remember who it is. Dale A's rear disc kit uses Fiat 124 calipers (right?)
and I don't remember whose rotors.

The spring rate tells you how much additional weight it takes to compress
the spring an additional distance, eg. A 450 lb/in spring will compress an
addition 1/2 inch when you load it with an additional 225 pounds. But the
car's ride height is set by the overall length of the spring, which is not
related to the spring rate, and it is there that some of the aftermarket
Tiger springs differ. The front coil spring is also supported by a rubber
donut on the front suspension, and its height can cause a Tiger's ride
height to vary by over an inch all by itself. If you are going to change the
springs then it's best to get new donuts at the same time, and then it will
still take a little while for the donuts to compress to their final shape
and allow the car to settle to its intended ride height. When you're working
out spring rates and weights supported, don't forget that the spring rate is
approximately double the wheel rate, because of the mechanical advantage of
the lower control arm. Changing the height of the donut by half an inch will
change the ride height by one inch, and a 450 pound per inch spring gives a
wheel rate of 225 pounds per inch.

Best regards,
Theo Smit