Re: turn signal

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: turn signal
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:36:40 -0500
From: owner-tigers@Autox.Team.Net [mailto:owner-tigers@Autox.Team.Net] On
Behalf Of Scott Hutchinson
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2004 10:38 AM
To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: turn signal

                  So,

My turn signals flash nicely in one direction (to the right), and don't
flash as all to the left.  I get one weak blink when I move the wand and
then nothing.  Every once in a while a get a normal blink sequence.  But not
very often any more.  It has always been a little been a little weak since I
purchased the car three years ago.

Thoughts......??

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott

Fine on the general comments Ron has made they apply to any old car.

However the late series Sunbeams have a design flaw in the front
turn signal fixture that has been a problem since the beginning.

The lack of dash indicator blinking is ment as a warning that the
external lamps aren't OK.   Have you looked at what they are doing?
Is the tail light blinking  The front ?
Is the running light on that side working?
These clues tell you where to look.

The design flaw is that there is no ground wire provided for the front fixture.
The ground connection depends on the fixing bolt, that holds the plastic
lens, rubbing against the pot metal fixture and then connecting to the
Tmmerman nut. on the body. A rubber gasket prevents the fixture frame
from grounding directly to the body.

I have found the rubbing connection can become intermittent with time.
Tighting the mounting bolts sometimes helps but often just leads to a cracked
plastic lens.

The fix is to add a ground wire from the pot metal light fixture
to the car body. This can be done by tapping a hole for a ground
wire or by substituting a new socket for the turn signal bulb
which has a ground wire. You can connect the
new ground wire to the same spot the head lamp circuit is grounded.

Whatever you do be carefull to keep the fixture water tight.

Steve F
Series V

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754