RE: Radiator cap pressure

To: "'Frank Marrone'" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Radiator cap pressure
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:03:29 -0800
Frank,

An important point that I don't think you mentioned is which side of the
radiator you have the pressure cap. All newer cars put the cap on the exit
side of the radiator. This is equivalent to putting a much higher pressure
cap on the inlet side. Racers run very high pressure caps - 25-30 psig range
I think. I believe this is to prevent local boiling at hot spots under
extreme load. I can't believe it's to allow the engine coolant to run at the
boiling point at these pressures. I would suggest you do what I do, use a 12
psig cap for normal driving and keep a 16 psig cap for hot weather or racing
use. BTW, I have my cap on the outlet side.

Bob