Re: Deep-cycle battery question (not necessarily Tiger)

To: awtiger@cox.net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Deep-cycle battery question (not necessarily Tiger)
From: Packertl3@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:27:59 EST
Andy
First, I'm not an electrical expert so others may have better ideas. But my
understanding is that a big threat to batteries is overcharging them. So I try
go with the lowest charge rate that produces results - hopefully you have some
time available. That said, I found that my trickle charger (1/4 amp?)
wouldn't even dent my discharged deep cycle over a period of 3 days. Had to go
to a
bigger unit. What I use is a standard automotive charger with an ampere gauge.
I bought a dimmer switch at the hardware store and wired it with lamp cord and
plugs. By plugging the charger into the dimmer I can dial the desired charge
rate. I would guess that if you use about 1 amp you should begin to see it
come back to life overnight.

In the last year I've begun using float chargers. They only pump about .015
amps so you can leave them hooked up for long periods without overcharging or
drying out the battery. Hope this helps. Better suggestions welcomed.
Terry Packer
9470018