Re: Deep-cycle battery question (not necessarily Tiger)

To: Andy Walker <awtiger@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Deep-cycle battery question (not necessarily Tiger)
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:32:11 -0800
Andy,

My own experience is with the Optima Red Top gel cell.  This is free
replacement for 3 years, and 5 year replacement by age amortization
after 3 years.  It is NOT the much more expensive marine battery, nor
should it be.   You don't need a deep cycle, but if you have long
periods of non-use you do need a small electronic charger, made by
Stomacher and "Battery Tender" that use about 1.25 amp draw, not
charge.   These are very small boxes meant to maintain a battery charge
over long periods of non-use, without boiling out the acid (as these
"trickle charger" capable larger units will.)

They range in cost from $39 to $59 and are worth every penny, if this is
your need.  The battery is always maintained at a ready state, but not
overcharged, nor does it overheat the acid,

Never use the larger (12"x2"x4" approx.) units that also charge.  These
little ones will NOT take a battery from low to charge, but will
MAINTAIN charge without damage.

Can buy one for less than the difference between automotive and marine
Optima versions (for which you will still need one).

Steve