Re: carroll shelby & Tigers

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Steve Laifman" <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: carroll shelby & Tigers
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:35:16 -0800
 I was not at the current T.U. events where Carroll spoke. I'm curious to
know his perspective on the Shelby name/engineering as it relates today. The
reason I say "today" is because it seems  from what George Boskoff said in
Mammoth I'm left to understand that the Tiger was mearly a business venture
for Shelby that offered him an opportunity to make some money.
  In the end it seems it was more the craftsmanship of George Boskoff than
the engineering of Carroll Shelby that brought the Tiger into being.
 One could always argue that the project was still contracted through Shelby
and built by one of his employees, but as best I'm able to comprehend Shelby
himself had little to do with "engineering" the car itself. Regardless, I'm
more than happy to have my Tiger associated with the Shelby name. Shelby
could have easily dis-associated himself for the reasons I stated above, but
apparently has chosen not to. Thus, I would assume he either has a general
liking for the car (and is more than happy to extend his association with
it), was more involved than has been stated or as a man in his 80's has
difficulty with memory.
 Over the course of time I think the Tiger community needs to be careful as
to just how "Shelby" we seek to be known. Certainly there is an association
and it is nice to be acknowledged by those more "Shelby" than the Tiger.
However, if the matter is pushed too hard it could create a backlash and we
might be seen as the bastard step-child who is attempting to be heirs to the
throne. It's one thing to be invite and another to be a party crasher.
Tom Witt