Larry Paulick's email Part 2

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Larry Paulick's email Part 2
From: "Olson, Mark W" <mark.w.olson@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:59:26 -0800
The Point is:

Have a consistent set of rules.

Let everyone know.

Let the Judges and Owners know and abide by these rules.

Have fun.

I also belong to another car club, where the judges are given training
sessions for a day on a specific model in the line up of cars in this
brand of cars.  The same thing happens there, and the events are fun,
everyone know the rules and judges and owner really get along great.

Some thing I have seen in this car club and observed, and had confirmed
by my friend with the TBird, is the relationship of owners and judges.

In these clubs, if something is not correct by the rules, often times
the judges will mention this to the owner, usually after the judging and
often privately. But the judges are always available and willing to
explain and help the owners in understanding their cars, and the rules.

I happen to be a judge at an event, where an owner of a beautiful car
lost by one point.  The car had just won Best of Show at Amelia Island,
an invitational concourse event.  I was the judge that took the point
off.  After the judging, I went up to the owner, told him I was the one
point judge, explained why, and he not only agreed, but thanked me for
pointing it out.  No hard feelings, just an open and honest event.

BTW, there were a lot of cars at this event.  In the past I have heard
that the judges can't remember all the cars, but the judges I am
familiar with certainly know what they did and why.

This promotes a good feeling between judges  and owners, as both feel
the event is not only fun but fair.

Baseball fields, NASCAR tracks are different, and you are right about
the excitement this adds.  But the rules for baseball and NASCAR are
there, just so everyone knows how the game is played.

While Sunbeams, Tigers and Alpines will most likely never get to the
point or sophistication of the TBird group, there are distinct
advantages of national rules that are consistent, and detailed.
Concourse judging will be easier for both the owner and judges.  Those
restoring their car, now have a set of guidelines, from which to look,
but still make their own decision regarding their choice for their car.

Rules and Guidelines are generally considered a sign of the maturity of
a club.  While Tigers generally have more modifications that most cars,
I am an example of that, the lesson learned by other clubs show what can
be done.

Larry