Crosley racing

To: CoolVT@aol.com, "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Crosley racing
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:36:31 -0800
Mark,

Crosley did indeed sports race/street cars.  The standard Crosley engine
had single overhead cam design, and integral heads and block, just like the
Offenhauser, and made a very small roadster (with no doors) that was
cute, and fast for such a small displacement. They
performed well, but no one expected them to be an Allard.  It wend over
98 mph at Le Mans in 1951.

See:  http://home.earthlink.net/~mherman/crosley1.html
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Emherman/crosley1.html>

Steve Laifman

CoolVT@aol.com wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>"Isn't this due in part to limited factory and then aftermarket support?  I
>mean then and now you could buy a ton of go fast goodies for Mustangs and Vets
>and the
>................"
>
>I think the discussion of which cars won what races and which were the better
>cars is a waste of time. Look at NASCAR....can we say Ford won or Chevy won?
>We can say it, but it means the factory won and not the Ford or Chevy that we
>know.  There is not one part on the race version of the car that is found on
>the highway version.  And, these years ago were called stock cars.
>
>All major races are determined  and have been determined for the past many
>years by how much the factory or sponsor  is willing to pour  into and change
>vehicle.  It's hard to name 2 or 3 winners of any major race that are or were
>independents. My theory is that someone could have taken a Crosley in the 50
>or 60's and made it a winner.  Of course, like most winners it would have had
>very little resemblance to the Crosley on the highway.  I think the Tiger with
>hugh factory support could have been made a winner right along with that
>Crosley, but it would have born little resemblance to the common Tiger.  Even
>the
>cars that were supposed to be "stock' were allowed so many variances that they
>were not much like the common highway version except for the body panels and
>then the racing versions normally had aluminum hoods, trunks, doors, etc..
>Most every vehicle had design flaws to some degree, but they were overcome or
>eliminated in the race version and thus could become a winner.
>
>So flamers, what do you think?
>Mark L.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
crosside.gif]