Re: Our Chrysler Connection

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Our Chrysler Connection
From: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:39:10 -0800
Hi all:
My understanding was that the buyout WAS for the european distribution
network(and it's attendant client base) that Rootes had in place.  That
simple.  Or, that complicated.
I tend to think of English car companies as small, but I gather that
Rootes was a powerhouse in England (at least
pre-British-Leyland-the-company-that-ate-eveything).  Like GM, Ford and
Chrysler itself, Rootes was an amalgam of other companies (Singer,
Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Talbot and probably others) brought under one
umbrella.
It probably seemed like a good idea to purchase an existing
distibutorship network along with it's existing client base (I know it
seemed like a good idea to me when I purchased my company in 1990--4
months before the U.S. economy in general and California's construction
industry in particular tanked until '97--Economic recovery my A**, Mr
Bush!).  Based on my own experiences, Chrysler may not have retained the
entire client base, but that, like Californias' construction depression
of the '90's, couldn't have been forseen.

Chrysler had produced over 60,000 Barracudas in 1967 alone.  For them a
company that averaged less than 8,000 Alpines a year and less than 2,000
Tigers a year--well, those numbers wouldn't even constitute blips on
Chrysler's corporate radar.  Not that they didn't try to keep the
Tiger.  But since Chryslers' smallblock V8 had the dizzy at the back and
since the only engine that would fit those 2,000 cars a year (without a
major redesign {$$$!}) came from a rival automaker......

Best Regards
David Sosna