Re: Limited Slip Diff

To: Carmods@aol.com
Subject: Re: Limited Slip Diff
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:09:42 -0800
At 01:08 PM 2/4/2005, you wrote:
>Gary,
>
>So many people have said that you can't fit a limited slip differential in
>2.88 gears I began to believe them. Is there a model number for the
>limited slip
>differential and do you know where they can be bought?
>

>                   John Logan

         As others on the list have said, installing a limited slip
differential carrier with the 2.88 gear set is not a major problem.  You do
have to address the ring gear bolt size depending on your source for the
carrier,  and you have to find a carrier intended for gear ratios 3.78 and
below.  Those for higher numerical ratios would fit but not with your gear
ratio.  While there are many Dana 44 carriers that will "fit", you also
need to pay attention to the spline count (19 splines for a Tiger axle) and
the thrust buttons that separate the axles and provide the load transfers
between the two axle bearings.  I frequently convert the "posi's" that
people find from ball bearing axle applications to the taper bearing axle
that the Tiger uses.  I manufactured a supply of these thrust buttons and
have them available in the hardened condition.  I found that the
aftermarket industry has commonly replaced the hardened buttons with simple
machined buttons which are too soft and wear out rather quickly leaving
metal particles and sloppy axle fits.

         You can pretty much count on rebuilding a used posi carrier to
replace the internal clutches.  Dana, in their infinite wisdom has
discontinued the manufacture of the heavy duty replacement clutches
(22937X) and only has the light duty (222333X) replacements available at
this time.  The difference between the heavy duty and the light duty clutch
pack is in the number of "coned" clutch plates which basically set the
preload or torque between the axles.  The higher the preload the less the
axles will "slip" before they start locking together.       Barry
Schonberger <BKSchonb@usi.edu> frequently advertises and sells used and
reconditioned posi units intended for Tigers.

         A few other final notes, first there are Dana posi units out in
the world that have only two spider gears.  They are best known
as  "Torque-Lok" as opposed to the four gear "Powr-Lok" and they are
obviously not as strong.  Next, a clutch type positraction differential
requires a friction modifier to work correctly.  While several
manufacturers make gear oil with this additive, I've always found that
adding the additive to straight gear oil seems to work the best.  Both GM
and Ford have this additive and I prefer the Ford stuff.  I have a small
supply and the Ford part number is C8AZ-19B546-A.  If it is still
available, I would like to get some more.  I have not given any posi case
numbers as my list is not comprehensive and I hope you will be able to
identify the posi you need from the info above.

Tom Hall