non-Tiger: Lotus Elise drive @ track

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: non-Tiger: Lotus Elise drive @ track
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:40:52 -0800 (PST)
A friend let me take his fairly new Lotus Elise out for a lapping
session at the track (Texas World Speedway) today, and I have to tell
you, it is absolutely amazing. Totally stock, including its tires, this
thing blows the doors off anything else I've driven that cost less than
6 figures (except maybe an S2000 powered Lotus 7 replica, but that's
not at all streetable)... it's grip is absolute and it is so responsive
it's like the car is connected directly to my spinal cord. It had
slightly more body roll than I expected, but with seemingly infinite
grip, who cares. With 190hp and only 1940lbs to move... it is also fast
on a road course, even compared to moderately modified street Tigers.

I wouldn't want to be any bigger than my current 6 ft and ~ 200 lbs...
let's just say that it's snug, but it is incredible.

There was also a new Porsche Carrera GT there today... no, the owner
didn't let me drive it, but one of the other instructors was lucky
enough to do a couple laps behind it's wheel. I think he is still
speechless.

Stephen Waybright