Re: Holley Carbs

To: Ed Esslinger <Edstiger@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Holley Carbs
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:44:54 -0800
ED,

The 1848-1 is the original LAT option carb that came with the Edelbrock
manifold. I was able to buy a new one from Holley some 5 years ago.  The
produce them in batches about once a year.  I believe Sunbeam
Specialties carries (ed) them.  My exhaust gas analyzer (after normal
jet/spring diddling) was right on the money, and it ran smoothly at all
rpm's and loads. No burble, stumble, flat spots.  Try a carb specialty
shop that deals in new carbs and parts, if SS doesn't have one.

The 600 CFM will work, but it is really too big for the mass flow of a
260, even modified.

Another replacement could be the Edelbrock 500 CFM.  I have used this
model's 600 CFM version on a mildly tuned Mustang 289.  Edelbrock run
well, but have the same flaw as the Holley in leaning out on left (or is
it right?) turns.  Need the center pivot models to cure that, and they
are all too big (flow) until 600 CFM versions.  I actually have not had
a problem with this, but I am not racing in high speed large left (or is
it right) sweeping turns.

Steve

--
-----