Re: Lotus

To: RMEbstein@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lotus
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:41:51 -0800 (PST)
The Miata does take more than it's fair share of jokes about it's
masculinity. I'm secure enough in mine to deal with that, not that
there's anything wrong with it. ;)

Also, it does look a lot like an Elan, which is what was being
considered.

I've never heard of the coolant problem and I hang with a serious
Miata/Spec Miata crowd... the only serious problem on very early cars
was related to crank shaft failures due to timing belt changes not
being done correctly. Anything '91 or newer is as rock solid reliable
and cheap as anything out there... which is why they are by far the
fastest growing club racing class around. I've driven Spec Miatas,
turbo Miatas and supercharged Miatas on track as well as street.
Nothing at all to be concerned about so long as you follow the upgrade
path of "Suspension, chassis then performance"... on this path 200hp is
no problem in a Miata, certainly no more problem than in a Tiger.

I'm not sure if I would want to be driving it around