From... Digests 619-622

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: From... Digests 619-622
From: "Lawrence Wright" <wrightsinseabrook@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:56:58 -0500
Steve Halbrook wrote:
"Does anyone own or has anyone seen a Carnival Red Tiger with a red
interior?
Please contact me off line if you have seen this color combination.
Thanks!"

No, I haven't. I had always thought there should be contrast between
interior and exterior colors, so when I re-did my Tiger and I really liked
the red interior, I stayed with a white exterior even though I really like
red cars. Having said that, now I'm not so sure, although perhaps the
biggest concern is getting a red interior whose hue matches or at least
compliments the Carnival Red. There are lots of shades of red, and I bought
red carpet for mine and it doesn't go with the red leather all that well. I
wonder if someone computer-savvy could PhotoShop a picture to give you an
idea of the results.

Chris Mottram wrote:
"Also - As of Sunday, after 6 years since complete
disassembly, I have restored my Tiger to the point
that it can actually move under its own power - not
too bad for an accountant.  This is due in great part
to the people and advice on this list.  THANKS!"

Congratulations, Chris! It seems only last year you were getting
started. :^) Neat choice on a second Rootes vehicle, too.

Stephen Waybright wrote:
"With the T5 and 0.80:1 5th gear set, you want the 3.31:1 rear end
independent of rim size."

If I may chime in: I have a .80 5th, 3.07 gears and the Ford
Motorsports 302 (not a stock cam at all), and I find that the engine isn't
really happy in 5th until 65-70, so I spend a lot of time in 4th, almost
making the 5th gear redundant. With a milder motor, things would be
different -- or if I drove faster.  :^O

Rodney wrote:
"Subject: Re: 1982-1983 AMC Concord or Spirit
Does anyone know the production figures of these cars? I would like to get
one of their tailshaft housings for obvious reasons and I'm guessing that it

may  be like looking for the proverbial "needle in haystack."
Anyone hoarding them out there that I can convince to sell me one?"

>From Hemmings' "Collectible Cars", issue #1437, June 2012: "AMC
enthusiasts report that one reason for the 1982-1983 AMC Concord and Spirit
going at auction for several times the price of other cars from the era is
not the rarity of the cars when new but the prospects of finding a complete
one to restore; for some inexplicable reason, most seem to be missing their
transmissions."

Les Constable wrote:
"Can someone explain (without using the term "looks good") why someone would
want to put 14" or 15" rims on a Tiger.  I would think that going to a lower
profile tire would make it ride harder.  Am I missing something?"

As others have reported, there are more 15" high-performance tires
available than 13", unless you want a set of autocross tires with a
2000-mile life. However, as even small cars get bigger I see even 15" being
left behind -- check out Tire Rack on-line or their magazine ads, and see
how many choices start at 16" or above. Maybe we should all order our 18"
wheels now and beat the rush. ;^} Personally, I like the look of the 13's
better than the larger sizes, but soon enough my Revolutions might be "show
only" if we cannot get the tires we want.

Lawrence R. Wright
9418 Dubarry Avenue
Seabrook, MD 20706
Phone: (301) 577-6574