Re: maximum service limit for drums

To: SLaifman@socal.rr.com, itswonderful@comcast.net
Subject: Re: maximum service limit for drums
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:40:21 EST
On the brake drum note....years ago I had Midas tell me that they would have
to replace a rotor on a Volvo because turning it would make it thinner than
their specs allowed.  I went to a Volvo dealership and they said it could be
turned no problem.  I asked the Midas shop later and their answer was that
their
specs are stricter than the dealership because they want to be "safer."

Can you imagine the people that get sucked into that one.  And...most people
aren't going to argue when they think Midas is just looking out for their
safety.  Can you imagine...they are safer than the Volvo
dealership/manufacturer
!!  In most cases now, if the rotor or drum "looks" okay and doesn't cause
chatter, I just clean up the piece a little and throw on some new pads/shoes.
have rotors on a Volvo that have gone 120,000 miles and 4 sets of pads. Hell, I
think now that the rotors have absobed enough pad material, they must
actually be thicker than when new....and thicker must mean safer;-)
Mark L.