Ford 302 CIDvs 5.0 L

To: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Subject: Ford 302 CIDvs 5.0 L
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:00:27 -0800
Tigers,

With all this recent e-mail on stroked small blocks, it would not hurt
to remember that Ford was said to have faced a similar situation.

The Ford 302 block was significantly changed from the 289 in using a
longer stroke.  This engine is known for problems in the same area as
the 260 strokers being discussed.

Ford, with the lengthened stoke and rod applied to the 289 announced the
new 302.  Many problems arouse.  When they announced the 5.0 L the
change was not just in the name.

The wrist pin on the piston was raised, and the rings relocated. The
pistons were also obtained from TRW, which were much stronger.  I have
heard that this was refereed to as Ford copying Chevy design.

I do NOT know if ANY of this is correct, it is simply things I have
heard.  If you believe them to be incorrect information that I heard,
say so.

I DO know that the 5.0 block is more sought than the 302, however this
may be due to the roller cam???? (as well??)

Steve