Re: Labeling situations

To: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>, Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Labeling situations
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:49:04 -0700
Tom,

An excellent discussion.  A great many parts are made, for other cars
both new and used, from tooling made from an original part (mold made
from original valve covers), original molds used by original, or
subsequent owners, and outright copies.  In the case of the Mustang, for
instance, most factory options are available for an 289 HP version
(exhaust, driving lights, body parts, upholstery, you name it) to
sometimes better quality than Ford made.  However, an honest
manufacturer and dealer would sell them as "reproduction", or
"manufactured currently from original tooling", or whatever is appropriate.

The difficulty, as always, depends on "representation" of the subsequent
resulting vehicle.  A disclosure of "updates", "reproduction", "NOS
added parts", and "as delivered originally from dealer or factory.

Then the market will decide the value.  The key to this situation is
honest representation,  Any sale made by wrongfully attributing
authenticity, when the facts are known to the seller, is
misrepresentation and unlawful fraud.  It could be unintentional
misrepresentation if the seller bought the car in that condition, and
did not know the history.  That still is subject to legal judgment, as
it is in the art world, if a valuable painting that a museum has held
for 75 years turns out to be a copy.  It then BECOMES what it always
was, but not known.  Happens frequently.

Anyway, that is my opinion.  I have no demands on a seller other than
honest representation, and let the market decide the value.

Steve

--
___
Steve Laifman