Re: Volvo fan for a Tiger?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <AAAGLASSS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Volvo fan for a Tiger?
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:40:35 -0700
Lee,
  I have a Volvo fan on my Tiger. The advantage of the Volvo fan is that it
has bolt holes that line to the Ford water pump and just clears the steering
rack (assuming that the engine mounts, rack are where they are supposed to
be). Also, assuming you have the stock configured Tiger water pump hub the
center hole on the Volvo fan is I believe 1/8" larger and thus slides right
over what I understand to be a 1" hub on the Tiger. The best way I know to
deal with the centering issue with the larger hole is to have one person
turn the pulley and fan in opposite directions while a second person
tightens up the bolts. This forces the fan to center on the bolts and will
likely give better centering.
     In my case the water pump had been replaced with a standard Ford
configuration. Hence. the hole was VERY large. A search through my Box
O'Bolts found a washer that just pressed into the Volvo fan and just slipped
over the water pump hub. Sorry I can't comment on effectiveness, 5+ years
and still not running - yet. Others have commented that it is effective
though. Not sure what they go for on Ebay. I find them in Pick Your Part
type yards about 2-3 times a year (I make about 15 to 20 trips a year). The
going rate there is $7 for a fan, plus gate addmission tax, plus sales tax,
plus environmental surcharge (if your a penny pincher like I am you might
want to include gas and $2 yard addmission fee too :-)    ), The bottom line
is about $10 out the door.
Tom Witt