Re: Master Cylinders - with or without washers?

To: gharlowe@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Master Cylinders - with or without washers?
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:34:04 -0700
Graham,

Just checked my firewall paint thickness' on BOTH sides of the firewall,
and they are definitely NOT 3/16 in. thick. ;-)

Take care on removal of excess paint, as you will also remove the
fantastically shinny paint surface, which only exist on the surface.
Best to tank strip entire vehicle and start over! :-) .

The original paint, unlike lacquer, does not polish.

Serially, though, while I am not small (flexible) enough to get my head
near the inside slave fasteners, the outside bolts (at least on mine)
appear to be a Grade 8 bolt with a forged upset head that forms it's own
washer. This is a typical aircraft and high strength design approach, so
I cannot imagine Rootes would have been that advanced. One never knows
what the "Historical Design Fuhrer", who assures no advances are made in
engineering practices or materials, or methods, might have overlooked.
You just might consider these, instead of a plain grade 8 and a separate
washer in the engine bay. It ends up a good deal thinner, and stronger.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com