Re: Classic Motorsports magazine Tiger project

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Classic Motorsports magazine Tiger project
From: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 06:14:03 -0700
Hi All:
Sorry to weigh in so late--just got back into town and saw the thread.
Dave made a good point about the gas available today.  One option is
ceramic coating the piston tops, cylinder heads and valve fronts.
This'll allow you to go with a bit higher compression without detonation.

Best way is to contact Sean Ford--his company does this kind of
thing--or, you can do as I did, cheaping out and do it yourself  (sorry
Sean!).  I used Techline Coating's water based product, sprayed it on
with a detail gun and baked it in an electric oven (not the one at
home!).  Took a couple of tries to get it right and, as I say, Sean's
people are experts, but however you approached it, the ceramic coating
and your subsequent experience with the car on a daily basis would make
an interesting sidebar to the technical article in the magazine.

I've got about 9.4:1 flat-topped pistons (according to the chart the
machine shop had).  I'm running regular gas with (I think) about 6 or 8
degrees initial timing.  So far it's running okay.  Not a crate motor
(which would, in hindsight, have been cheaper and likely made more
power)--it's a '68 J-code 302 with a 4 bbl.  The original 10:1 pistons
disappeared when the P.O. replaced them with dished pistons years ago.
If you were willing to run premium gas, you might go as high as 10:1 on
today's gas.....

Best Regards
David Sosna