Re: Oil Pressure

To: "Randal J. Zimmermann" <zimme008@umn.edu>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:21:27 -0600
Hi Randy,
I've heard of Mobil 1 causing low oil pressure indications (which, if
the gauge isn't broken, means that you do, indeed, have low oil
pressure), but my own experience with using Mobil 1 was that the
readings didn't change significantly at operating RPM. It may be that
your oil pump has wide clearance between the rotors and it just can't
pump enough volume to give good pressure readings. Does the pressure
come up at all when you increase the engine RPM? It is quite common for
the oil pressure to drop off a lot at idle if you're using a low
viscosity oil.

Good luck,
Theo