RE: gas tank sealer

To: "'david hall'" <dhhall@bellsouth.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: gas tank sealer
From: "MSN" <w_pierzga@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:06:23 -0400
David:

You want to use "Red-Kote" gas tank sealer. Stay away from the other brands
you noted. I have used Red-Kote with great success.

My strategy was to remove the tanks and have them chemically dipped to
remove all paint and rust leaving a phosphate film. I then applied the
sealer after fixing any holes larger than approx 1/32inch (can solder or
braze (sp?) them). Finally, I painted the exterior - I used RustOleum but
you could use POR or something else as the tanks tend to rust from inside
rather than outside.

I think I paid about $30 for a quart can of Red-Kote last year. Purchased it
at a local radiator supplies shop.

Suggest you use this same procedure on the metal connecting tubes between
the tanks as well.

When reassembling I applied Vaseline to the inner part of the rubber hoses
so they would easily slide onto the metal tubes. Tighten the clamps well.
Also, be sure to replace the rubber filler neck AND the upper vent hose that
connects the two tanks. Typically you will find a small crack at the filler
neck where the vent hose connects to the filler neck. This and cracked vent
hoses are typically the source of vapor leaks that cause the car to smell of
gas. For the vent hose, suggest you use Marine fuel line.

Good luck,

Wayne