Re: Motor mounts

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Motor mounts
From: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:51:46 -0700
Hi Bob:
Good point.  However, my Tiger is abnormal--sort of like it's owner.  I
moved the steering rack back about 4".  I thought I'd left enough
clearance to drop the oil pan.  I was wrong (grin).  I also didn't
realize that a front sump pan has to drop straight down because of the
oil pump pickup.
On the positive side, relocating the rack did take care of the ackerman
problem (Smitty says it handles like an Alpine).  Now, if I'd only moved
the rack forward another 1/2"....
I'm pretty sure I "measured several times before cutting", but the
prototype of anything always has a few bugs.

What I'm wondering is whether  taking out the two rear crossmember bolts
and loosening the two front bolts would allow the crossmember to pivot
forward--I suspect not, unless the bolt holes are hogged out a bit--and
I don't recall whether they are.  If it could pivot, then I wouldn't
have to actually take the whole thing out, though at that point, it
might be just as simple (and safer) to remove the whole thing.  Any
thoughts out there?

Best Regards Bob--See you at British Car Day?

David