Re: Tiger Breakdown?

To: "Greg Koss" <Greg.Koss@trw.com>, <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger Breakdown?
From: "FunbeamChuck" <FunbeamChuck@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:03:02 -0400
The Funbeam has been across the country three times. From VA to MT, FL to CA
and FL to CA.

First, in July, '99, at SUNI III in Big Sky Montana, my clutch throw-out
bearing went after the third autocross run. Winnebago repair shop replaced
entire clutch assy. Had loads of help from Tiger folks -Doug Jennings
mostly- and was not stranded. Car repaired just before Banquet. About a 4000
mile trip.

Second, Went to Lake Tahoe to get Shelby to sign car and attend United
there. On the way out, Jerry Porsch in Albuquerque replaced a worn U-Joint,
fix a leaking clutch master cylinder, and an AZ Highway Patrolperson put out
a small carburetor fire -and I had to power wash off the fire retardant
material that covered the entire engine compartment. After having a serious
talk with The Funbeam, I had no further trouble on the way back. 8100 mile
trip. Not stranded at all.

Third time was to SUNI IV in Park City, UT. Had just refreshed the entire
drive train 1000 miles before the trip. New engine, beefed up Xmember, new
bushings/bearings/fulcrum pins, new posi, brakes... Basically a fresh start,
but nothing done to the "bullet proof" transmission. No problems going out.
Did have to get a spot on my exhaust pipe rewelded in Eureka, KA.
Autocrossed ten runs or so at the event, went on the tours and on the way
back from Kirkham Motors and Dr Gas, I roared past Nick Kintner in his MKII
on an uphill Interstate about max speed (he had been mercilessly out running
me when I had the 260 in the car), when I went to downshift at the off ramp,
there was no gear. Turned out that the dowel in the shifter mechanism had
worn and fell out of the shifter. Thanks to Nick, who lent me this truck and
trailer, I had that replaced at Kirkham Motors. Once again, not stranded. On
the way home, in Las Vegas, New Mexico, I lost oil pressure at idle and it
turned out I'd flat lobed 2 lobes on the cam. I did stay in Las Vegas for an
unexpected great 4 days, but you might say I was stranded. But I had a great
time and met some wonderful New Mexicans. That was a 5800 mile trip.

I've been on many three to five day trips to St Louis, Atlanta, PA, VA, KY,
Birmingham, Key West, Mid-Ohio and many more without any major problems.
I've put over 50,000 miles on The Funbeam since I bought it in April of '99.
It's been very reliable for it's age and the way I drive. The Tiger
community has gone out of their way to help me when I've had trouble. That,
regular maintenance, a cell phone and a AAA card are all you need. I
traveled most of those trips with John Webber. It's nice to have a friend in
another Tiger traveling with you. If you do get stuck in a small town
somewhere, resign yourself and enjoy the people there. Traveling across
America is terrific and the people are what make it so.

All the Best,
FunbeamChuck