Re: Engine removal...aid

To: "drmayf" <drmayf@mayfco.com>, "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine removal...aid
From: "Tony Someone" <tonythetiger@onecliq.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 02:08:42 -0500
I have never removed a Tiger engine from the bottom but have plans on doing
so soon. I have remove them from the top on several occasions and although
out of practice, I would say Im pretty quick. But who keeps a watch on when
working on a Tiger. Dale A and Doug  J might be two guys who watch the
clock, for obvious reasons.

I wanted to try to describe an engine removing device that is easily made if
you have access to a welder and some toe plate , 1/4 inch plate and a
shackle. I copied mine from a factory orginal. The plate is made to cover
the intake with carb. removed and has holes drilled so it bolts right to the
top of the intake. The one I duplicated had several holes and was made to
fit a variety of intake manifolds, both GM and Ford and of course Im sure
that it fit Chrysler products as well. The plate I used was toe plate,(1/8
to 3/16) It welds to handrail post in most manufacturing plants and is
located just off the top of the concrete floor. It is used to keep your feet
inside the structure and or rolling material from going over the edge of the
plant. I then welded a piece of of bar stock standing perpindicular to the
flate plate and located in the middle of the plate. I used a cutting torch
to burn three (3) holes in the bar stock. I made them about 13/16" in
diameter and located one in the middle and one on each end. I then added a
5/8s shackle to the center hole. When I cut the flat plate I layed it under
the factory part I was copying and used it as a template to drill the
necessary holes. I clamped the two pieces together using C-clamps and the
hardest part was drilling all the holes to fit different intakes. It works
great if you have an overhead hoist or a "cherry picker" to lift the engine
and tranny. If you put the shackle in the first hole, the engine and tranny
tilt just right for removal from a Tiger and the balance point is such that
its easy to push down on the front of the engine so the tranny clears the
top of the engine bay.Afterwards you can set it down, unless you have two
chainfalls hanging on the overhead monorail and then you can just add
another shackle to the center hole and transfer the engine to the level
position. It is now ready to remove the tranny and attach it to an engine
stand. It works great and since you are usually just pulling Tiger engines,
the other hole patterns arent needed unless you plan on beconing a real
mechanic.I can get actual measurements if anyone is interested. Cheers, Tony